As the spread of COVID-19 threatens communities around the world, we want you to know that the health and safety of our members and their families is our number one focus.
Demanding Safe Work Conditions
IUE-CWA is demanding action and transparency from all of our IUE employers on strict safety protocols for all of our members in the workplace.We have been working to ensure that every company is completing and returning a COVID-19 employer survey as soon as possible.
Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
We encourage members to stay informed about what you can do to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Follow the advice of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and state and local health departments. We know many of you are leaders in your communities, and we urge you to do what you can to help those who are vulnerable and most in need, where you can do so safely.
I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but I’ll offer a reminder:
- Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in a public space, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water aren’t available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you are feeling sick, call your doctor immediately and try to stay home unless you require immediate medical attention.
- With the exception of going to work and getting groceries, please stay home as much as possible. Practicing social distancing by avoiding public spaces and physical contact with non-family members is one of the most powerful ways we can "flatten the curve" and fight the spread of this virus.
Demand Paid Sick Time Legislation for All Workers
We also support efforts to reduce the serious economic impact of this pandemic by protecting working people. This is a time for politicians to work together and support working families. The government’s response to this crisis needs to be comprehensive and must include paid sick leave for all workers, free testing and treatment for COVID-19, emergency relief for seniors and vulnerable families, and income for workers laid-off or unemployed as a result of this crisis. IUE-CWA is urging the House and Senate to immediately pass the P.A.I.D. Leave Act, a comprehensive bill that would provide all workers with paid sick days and paid family and medical leave. It is critical that we not only respond to the current coronavirus crisis, but that we equip workers and our families with the tools they need to deal with future crises and life events.
Thank You and Stay Safe